What Can I do about Smoke in My Home Now?

Steps available while we work towards a Smoke-Free BC


If you live in a strata complex and have smoke coming into your home, the current process you can use to fight for your smoke-free living rights includes: 

  1. Submitting a nuisance complaint to the Strata Council (the Civil Resolution Tribunal Solutions Explorer has templates to help with this and we have a few samples below as well) - , 
  2. Requesting a hearing with the Strata Council to present your issue, 
  3. Filing a claim with the Civil Resolution Tribunal, if your issues are not being addressed by the Council. There is also the Human Rights Tribunal if you have a disability and your Council fails to make accommodations for you. 

**Note that I'm not a lawyer, but just trying to lay out the current systems/steps available that I'm aware of.**

Below are materials that we pulled together in preparation for a hearing with our Strata Council (with the help of great suggestions from our supporters). Feel free to use parts or all of this information in your own situations as needed.

I know many supporters of this campaign are in rental units/buildings. There are processes as well through the Residential Tenancy Branch. I'm less familiar with these but will be researching and asking for followers to send me info and then will upload steps/recourse for renters too.  

Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT)

The CRT has a 'Solution Explorer' that is a step by step guide to help strata owners and tenants deal with this (and other) type(s) of situations. We used the 'Solution Explorer' to learn about how to properly file our complaints to Strata Council and request a hearing.

Direct Link to CRT

Relevant, Useful Websites on Smoke-free Living



Physicians for a Smoke-Free Canada (PSC) is a national health organization, founded in 1985 as a registered charity. We are a unique organization of Canadian physicians who share one goal: the reduction of tobacco-caused illness through reduced smoking and reduced exposure to second-hand smoke.

Find out more



We currently have bylaws prohibiting one from disturbing one’s neighbors in many comparatively minor ways. Prohibiting smoking in multi-unit dwellings is no different from prohibiting loud music or pets. That something is legal does not mean it is unregulated. 

Find out more



Despite strong public support and demand for smoke-free homes, there is a significant shortage of smoke-free buildings for those who want and need to live smoke-free. If you are suffering from second-hand smoke infiltrating your home on a frequent and on-going basis, our site will provide you with useful information and tools.

Find out more



For over a decade we have worked to encourage and equip housing providers to adopt 100 percent no-smoking policies. Few have taken voluntary action. We believe a legislated or regulatory approach is now warranted.

Find out more



Second-hand smoke (SHS) is more than a nuisance – it’s a toxic mix of more than 4,000 chemicals. In 1992 the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) classified SHS as a “Group A” carcinogen, a category reserved for the most dangerous compounds proven to cause cancer in humans. There is no known safe level of exposure. In light of the strong scientific evidence about the harmful effects of SHS on individuals’ health, the only way to fully protect tenants’ health is to eliminate all indoor smoking in MUDs.

Find out more



This is a national website dedicated to providing information on second-hand smoke in multi-unit dwellings (MUDs) and advocating for increased smoke-free housing options across the country. This website is maintained by a group of tobacco control advocates, including members of the Canadian Smoke-Free Housing Coalition, who are committed to addressing this growing public health issue.

Find out more